10 days itinerary in and out of Florence in July

yamo

I am looking for help with a florence centered itinerary that is mindful of july's heat. My partner and i will have 10 or so days, will be traveling into and out of florence, and are hoping to avoid the hassle of renting a car. Unsurprisingly, probably partially because we are from San Francisco, we are big on food and local experiences and are willing to go far and wide to get to those.

I imagine we'll be spending about 5 days in Florence, but then have far too many food/destination options for the little remaining time we have, whether traveling north to Bologna, Modena, and Parma or deeper into Tuscany or making our way to the coast to cool off a bit. I want to pace the trip well and be mindful of the heat.

Any recommendations on where to travel? I know there is really no going wrong, but it's still quite a challenge to make a decision and know where we can find unforgettable food/lodging/etc experiences. Any celebrations we should plan to for in the area between July 6 and 17?
Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.

Food Festivals to Check out in July

Buongiorno,

After a bit of searching I found a few sagras (Italian Food Festivals) that you might find appealing:

Cena del conigliolo fritto il 19 July 2015 at Cerreto Guidi (Prov. of Florence)
a dinner of fried rabbit, a typical Tuscan speciality

Sagra del Tortello e della Ricotta dal 2 & 3 July 2015 at Palazzuolo sul Senio (Prov. of Florence)
a food festival based on a handmade pasta filled with ricotta cheese

Sagra della pappardella alla lepre 2 to 26 July 2015 at Staffoli, Santa Croce sull'Arno (Prov. of Pisa)
this is a wide cut noodle with meat sauce made from wild rabbit (hare)

Most Sagras take place only on the weekends, so you need to program accordingly. Believe me when I say there a lots and lots of sagras for every immaginable food item...I only selected those which I would search out first ;-)

Buon Viaggio

Events in July

We also work on compiling all the events of the month that we find by the first day of the month - which includes food and festivals and other interesting events. You can receive our newsletter to get the link directly in your Inbox by completing the sign-up form here:
http://www.visitflorence.com/newsletter/signup.html

Or by going to this page the first week in July - the article will be at the top of the page once we publish it:
www.visitflorence.com/florence-events/