14 days in Tuscany in mid-September

RobinGeorge

My wife and I are trying to plan a holiday that will take in a few days unwinding, sight-seeing. We plan to fly to Pisa on 9th September, stay for a week in Lucca and exploring Florence and Pisa from there, Then we were thinking of hiring a car and hoping to see Sienna ++ but have no idea where to base ourselves (preferably not in a city). Is this a feasible plan?
I should add that, though able-bodied, we are senior citizens so relaxation rather than cramming in as much as we can, is the prime consideration. Is it, for example feasible to catch a train or bus from Pisa Airport to Lucca assuming that the busstop in Lucca is near the apartment that we choose? Are there problems taking Italian buses for non-Italian speakers?
Looking forward to hearing from you,

Getting to Lucca

Buongiorno -

The trip is about an hour long and it is totally feasible. Since this area is very "touristy" you shouldn't have a problem not speaking the language. When you exit the customs area of the airport on your immediate right you will find a place where they sell the tickets and you can purchase everything there - and they will give you directions on where to catch the first connection.

You will have to change buses, you will go from the airport (about 10 min.) and then from Pisa to Lucca (30 min). The cost is approx. 5€

Once you get to Lucca - you can always catch a taxi that will take you directly to your apartment.

Buon Viaggio

14 days in Tuscany in mid-September - Sienna and surroundings

Buongiorno -

The trip is about an hour long and it is totally feasible. Since this area is very "touristy" you shouldn't have a problem not speaking the language. [SNIP]

Thank you very much for that.! I wonder whether you have any advice regarding the other question: where to base ourselves for the 2nd week in order to see Sienna and the surrounding area?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

another area in Tuscany

I suggest you look towards Cortona and the countryside. It makes several areas very easily visitable including Siena, Montepulciano, Arezzo, parts of Chianti and val d'Orcia.

Staying in the countryside will also give you another perspective of Tuscany and their hospitality:

http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/cortona/

the first two (il Sole del Sodo and Agriturismo Convento di Novole) are both in the countryside and make for an excellent base.

Enjoy!