3 days to explore Tuscany (please help to check whether travelling plan is feasible?)

Rachael

Hi to all Tuscany experts,

I need you all advice whether my following plan sounds feasible? Will my Day 2 consider "mission impossible" though I would like to see all of them? :p

Day 1: 4th Nov - Rome > Florence by train (early in the morning). Plan to stay a night at Florence

Day 2: 5th Nov - Rent a car at Florence (early in the morning) and drive to Siena via route SR 222. The road trip includes the following stops:
1. Greve In Chianti
2. Montefioralle
3. Panzano In Chianti
4. Castellina In Chianti
5. Siena (Plan to do an overnight here)

Day 3: 6th Nov - Continue the journey from Siena to Orvieto and make the following stops along the way:
1. Montepulciano
2. Pienza
3. Parco Artistico Naturale e Culturale della Val D'Orcia
4. San Quirico d'Orcia
5. Bagno Vignoni
6. Rocca D'orcia
7. Radicofani
8. Orvieto
9. **Le Cascate del Mulino** (Shall I continue the drive to here and overnight here instead of Orvieto town?)

Day 4: 7th Nov - Continue the journey from Orvieto OR **Le Cascate del Mulino** to Pisa with few stops as follows:
1. Montalcino
2. San Gimignano
3. Volterra
4. Pisa (Plan to drop the car off nearby the train station after visiting the leaning tower. Does it sounds good or shall I drop the car off nearby the train station and take the public transport to the tower instead?? Any car parking issue if I plan to return the car only after seeing the tower? :confused:)
5. Then take the night train from Pisa back to Florence

Day 5: Take the train from Florence to Venice

Thanks in advance! :eek:

Cheers,
Rachael

Last edited:
Day 2 looks fine, you can go through Chianti in a day.
Montefioralle and Greve are very close, you can do those in the morning. Panzano by lunch (have lunch there - the place to go is Dario Cecchini's McDario place by the parking lot) and afternoon in Castellina. Get to Siena by dinner so you can enjoy it as well, not just use it as an overnight place to sleep at.

I think Day 3 and 4 need to be thought over - if you just plan to drive by these towns, they are doable. If you actually want to stop and walk around and see them, then you are trying to fit too much in.

Day 3: Trying to get to Orvieto (which is in Umbria) would be ok if you cut out stuff in the middle. If you want to make it to Saturnia to actually enjoy the thermal waters, I think you need to head there before in the day so that you can actually see/enjoy them..... but having said that, why not stop at other thermal springs before? Bagno Vignoni has them, and so does San Filippo (outdoor springs). San Filippo is quite impressive, although not a waterfall. While distances might seem short, these are country roads - over hills and just 2 lanes, so speed is limited. To get to Saturnia, you have to cross the Monte Amiata (a mountain).
So I'd suggest enjoying the Val d'Orcia!!
1. Montepulciano
2. Pienza
4. San Quirico d'Orcia
5. Bagno Vignoni
8. San Filippo

Day 4
: 7th Nov - Continue the journey to Pisa, enjoying what you haven't seen of the Val d'Orcia yet.
1. Montalcino, Sant'Antimo Abbey, Buonconvento
2. San Gimignano or Volterra, not both
3. Pisa - if you no longer need the car but you have suitcases with you, I'd either drop off car and deposit luggage at the Pisa Central train station and then walk to the Leaning Tower so that you see a bit more of Pisa along the way OR park near the Leaning Tower, do your sightseeing and then drop off the car before heading back to Florence.

Seeing as you're spending part of day 1 in Florence, which isn't a lot, I'd also recommend you spend the rest of day 5 there too before heading to Venice! Otherwise, you'll have done a lot of driving around Tuscany but not see its main city!! ;-)

THANK YOU Louder!

Day 2 looks fine, you can go through Chianti in a day.
Montefioralle and Greve are very close, you can do those in the morning. Panzano by lunch (have lunch there - the place to go is Dario Cecchini's McDario place by the parking lot) and afternoon in Castellina. Get to Siena by dinner so you can enjoy it as well, not just use it as an overnight place to sleep at.

I think Day 3 and 4 need to be thought over - if you just plan to drive by these towns, they are doable. If you actually want to stop and walk around and see them, then you are trying to fit too much in.

Day 3: Trying to get to Orvieto (which is in Umbria) would be ok if you cut out stuff in the middle. If you want to make it to Saturnia to actually enjoy the thermal waters, I think you need to head there before in the day so that you can actually see/enjoy them..... but having said that, why not stop at other thermal springs before? Bagno Vignoni has them, and so does San Filippo (outdoor springs). San Filippo is quite impressive, although not a waterfall. While distances might seem short, these are country roads - over hills and just 2 lanes, so speed is limited. To get to Saturnia, you have to cross the Monte Amiata (a mountain).
So I'd suggest enjoying the Val d'Orcia!!
1. Montepulciano
2. Pienza
4. San Quirico d'Orcia
5. Bagno Vignoni
8. San Filippo

Day 4
: 7th Nov - Continue the journey to Pisa, enjoying what you haven't seen of the Val d'Orcia yet.
1. Montalcino, Sant'Antimo Abbey, Buonconvento
2. San Gimignano or Volterra, not both
3. Pisa - if you no longer need the car but you have suitcases with you, I'd either drop off car and deposit luggage at the Pisa Central train station and then walk to the Leaning Tower so that you see a bit more of Pisa along the way OR park near the Leaning Tower, do your sightseeing and then drop off the car before heading back to Florence.

Seeing as you're spending part of day 1 in Florence, which isn't a lot, I'd also recommend you spend the rest of day 5 there too before heading to Venice! Otherwise, you'll have done a lot of driving around Tuscany but not see its main city!! ;-)

Hi Lourdes

Thanks for your advice and this is much appreciated! Your awesome plan definitely sounds good to me!
Looks like I have to give Orvieto a miss! Which town do you recommend for me to stay over for a night on Day 3 before the trip to Pisa on the next day?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
visit to Orvieto

Buongiorno,

unless you thought you would take a day to visit Florence (the first day) why don't you pick up the car in Rome and drive to Orvieto then go to Florence. Orvieto is only minutes off the main highway and it is a lovely stop. It is an easy drive and timewise probably just a little longer than taking the train.

And Lourde's suggestion about the thermal waters at Bagno Vignoni is spot on, smaller but just as nice.

Buon Viaggio
Donna Denise

Buongiorno,

unless you thought you would take a day to visit Florence (the first day) why don't you pick up the car in Rome and drive to Orvieto then go to Florence. Orvieto is only minutes off the main highway and it is a lovely stop. It is an easy drive and timewise probably just a little longer than taking the train.

And Lourde's suggestion about the thermal waters at Bagno Vignoni is spot on, smaller but just as nice.

Buon Viaggio
Donna Denise

Hi Donna,

Your inputs are highly appreciated! I have just edited the travelling plan, all comments/opinions/suggestions are welcome! :eek:

Ps: Current plan is to rent a car at Rome and drop it off at Florence

Day 1: 4th Nov - Rent a car drive from Rome to Montepulciano and rest one night here. Plan to make the following stops along the journey:
1. Bagni San Filippo
2. Bagno Vignoni

Day2: 5th Nov - Explore Val d'Orcia and drive to Siena (do dinner + rest one night here). The road trip include the following stops:
1. Pienza
2. San Quirico d'Orcia
3. Abbey of Sant'Antimo
4. Montalcino
5. Buonconvento

Day 3: 6th Nov - Siena to Florence & go through Chanti in one day via route SR 222. The details of the journey as follows:
1. San Gimignano
2. Castellina In Chianti
3. Panzano In Chianti
4. Montefioralle
5. Greve In Chianti

Day 4: Pisa & Florence

Day 5: Florence

Lourdes and Donna, How's the current plan? Does it sound better or still quite rush overall? Where should I stay for a night on DAY 1? Montepulciano or? :confused:

Thank you very much! ;)

Cheers,
Rachael

Day one

Hi

I think you made some good changes.

Keep in mind that Orvieto is only minutes off the main road towards Montepulciano and if you had wanted to see it I would truly suggest you do it.

At that point I would pick one of the two thermal water stops and just stay there for the night - probably Bagno San Filippo. Have a look at the itin: Rome airport - Orvieto (walk around and lunch here) - Acquapendente (passing thru this town is more scenic and a bit less time on the road towards your) - Bagni S. Filippo.

Buon Viaggio

Donna Denise

Day 1 Hotel stay

Hi

I think you made some good changes.

Keep in mind that Orvieto is only minutes off the main road towards Montepulciano and if you had wanted to see it I would truly suggest you do it.

At that point I would pick one of the two thermal water stops and just stay there for the night - probably Bagno San Filippo. Have a look at the itin: Rome airport - Orvieto (walk around and lunch here) - Acquapendente (passing thru this town is more scenic and a bit less time on the road towards your) - Bagni S. Filippo.

Buon Viaggio

Donna Denise

Dear Donna,

Thanks so much for your suggestion! My husband and I have finally decided to stay nearby Montepulciano instead of the area at Bagno S. Filippo as there are more choices for us for the date we're available around there. We'll be staying at "Albergo San Biagio" hotel for a night here which is just 30 mins drive from Bagno S. Filippo and we find it is a great place to stop over to explore Val d' Orcia.

Once again, thanks so much for your valuable inputs! We wouldn't have came this plan out without both Lourdes and your help :eek:. The plan really looks so much better now and to be honest I would feel quite sad if really have to give Orvieto a miss. I was very struggling for the past whole week and trying hard to fits in Orvieto and some other beautiful Tuscany hill towns with limited days we could spend at Tuscany.

Cheers! ;)

Rachael