Day trips, off beaten path

Roman2604

Hello all. My wife and I will be traveling to Tuscany. It will be our 35 wedding university. After two days in Florence we will be staying in Villia Il Palagio (with the car) outside Florence from October 26-30. I would appreciate this a lot if someone could recommend easy day trips from this location so we can visit the most interesting and unique places, but not necessarily the most "touristy" places.
Thank you in advance

Definitely Casentino

Buongiorno -

you are the perfect distance for a day trip into the valley of Casentino, a high school friend just came to visit me and we spent an entire day roaming about and exploring...they said it was the highlight of the trip. Small and rich with local color, historic monuments and lovely people.

I suggest that you read the articles in under this heading to find out more: http://www.discovertuscany.com/casentino/

The castles are great (and worth the small entrance fee) and one of my (new) favorite restaurants is : Il Mattarello (which means the pasta rolling pin) and she makes homemade ravioli and tortelli (potato filled pasta)....outside seating with a view of the Poppi Castello. (www.ilmattarello.net)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise