Viareggio to Cinque Terre and Portofino Itinerary

lro1012

We are planning to stay a few days in Viareggio after leaving Florence in April. We have a tour set up for the Carrara Quarries one morning and would like to visit Cinque Terre and Portofino. We aren't hikers. Just would like to see the different areas and look around a little. Is it possible to see Cinque Terre and Portofino in one day? Maybe ferry around to the different towns? If so, what would be the best way to get there from Viareggio and where should we start? After we leave that area, we will be heading to Milan. Thank you!

CT after Viareggio

Buongiorno,

On the map it looks like it would be easy to do Portofino and CT on one day - but both have so much to offer, I encourage you to spend a full day enjoying CT, training into the different towns and maybe even a boat taxi from one or two so you get the full panorama of the area.

It is not necessary to do any hiking to enjoy the views (though the trip from the train station to the coast can be considered a "mini" hike ;-) in some cases)

Portofino is a good little half day trip and you can easily stop there along the way to Milan.

After Viareggio you could drive up to Levanto, get a hotel, leave the car and then catch the train into CT go all the way to Manarola and then work your way back one town at a time - and the last two stops use a boat taxi. The next morning you leave Levanto, stop and Portofino walk around ... do lunch and then off to Milano. (this is what I did when my Mom can to visit me...easy and panoramic)

Buon Viaggio,
Donna