Day Trips From San Gimignano

jeanvaljean

I will be based out of San Gimignano for 5 full days the first week of Oct with a rental car. I am looking for 4 full day trip suggestions that would start and end in SG and encompass a good representation of Tuscany. We would like to be able to travel at a leisurely pace and would welcome a good lunch suggestion for each day which will also serve to show where the ½ way point is roughly. I imagined (but not locked into) one trip aimed at Luca, another at Chianti, another at Val d’Orcia etc. I am a photographer so places/restaurants/roads with visual interest/views/character are a priority. If leaving later and having dinner/sunset in a place other than SG and get back to SG later, or before dawn to get to a great sunrise somewhere, that is fine with us. For each day’s “loop” if you have specific roads, sites, villages that you recommend along the way even better. We have visited Florence so that can be left out. Thank you in advance to those here who are so generous with their time and knowledge on this forum. I look forward to any ideas you have.

day trips

Buongiorno,

Val d'Orcia - head south towards Siena (passing thru Colle val d'Elsa & Monteriggioni) pick up the SR2 towards Buonconvento and go until Bagno Vignoni (lunch spot) then back track and head towards Pienza, Montepulciano (wine stop), Torrita di Siena, Rapolano Terme, Siena and San Gimignano.

another circle - a little less driving: Certaldo, Montespertoli, San Donato in Poggio (between these two places look for the road that will take you to Fattoria Casa Sola/Castel Monsanto passing through Cortine) Poggibonsi, Rocca di Staggia, Colle Val d'Elsa and San Gimignano

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Last edited:
Day Trips

Thank you. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Does anyone else have other suggestions to compliment these?

As a matter of fact, I was working on some other suggestions when my computer froze up and I lost the info.... so let's start over!

Donna has made some great suggestions, so I would add:

Volterra - Saline di Volterra - Pomarance - Larderello (where you can see thermal energy in action -- and geysers and steam coming out of the ground). Once here I would cut west toward Castagneto Carducci and then on to Bolgheri -- making sure you do the cypress road from the coast toward Bolgheri. This is wine country so lots of beautiful vineyards. Head toward Bibbona and then back to Volterra.

Casole d'Elsa - Radicondoli - Chiudino to get to the Abbey of San Galgano (lunch at nearby Monticiano) - Colle Val'Elsa or Monteriggioni (depends on whether you cover them before or not)

I've also heard the area around Lajatico (and Teatro del Silenzio) is quite beautiful but I've not passed through there yet so cannot confirm ;)

If you go to Lucca, take the road north into the Garfagnana until you get to the Ponte del Diavolo (Ponte della Maddalena) at Borgo a Mozzano, it is beautiful country up there and the bridge is fascinating.

Just also thought of the marble caves of Carrara, if you were interested in those that is also another interesting photo opportunity but it is a bit further up the coast from Lucca.

I think you should have all your days covered ;) Early mornings for you!