Countryside town/village reachable by bus/train & accomodation

Danielav

Hello,

We have just bought honeymoon tickets to Bologna in July and plan to stay one night there and 2 in Florence.

Then, we want to use any type of public transportation and spend 4 nights in a very nice, rural area with beautiful landscapes in Tuscany. Our plan is to stay in that place and explore by walking, using bikes or just strolling around the greenery. It should be beautiful enough to keep us charmed for 4 nights:)

The question is where should we spend those 4 quiet nights? It has to be somewhere by bus/train, very beautiful in terms of landscape and really nice accommodation.

I've read a lot about San Gimignano, Chianti, etc but just can't decide which option would really fit us in terms of transportation/landscapes and accommodation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!!!
Dana

Places to stay

Buongiorno,

San Gimignano is a good choice, you will definitely enjoy it...I don't know if you will find enough to do for 4 days - 2, maybe but 4 is a lot of time for a small town. You could look at staying in Florence one more night and using that day to go to Pisa/Lucca. The train from Florence is more convenient then moving to S. Gimignano and then going back to Florence.

I stayed at the White Lion (Hotel Leone Bianco) and I especially enjoyed the hot tub (after a day of walking!!!) You can also look at Villa Alba, just on the outside of SG with a private pool
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/villa-alba.html

Another activity, an organized tour of the countryside and a wine tasting on one day - together with your walks into the countryside and around the town.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

If you like cycling + wine tastings, you could look into doing a tour one day with Bike Florence and Tuscany while you're in S.G. - they have a tour that goes from San Gimignano towards Siena, you decide how far you want to go. I recently did the bike ride from Castellina to Siena and really enjoyed it, including the wine tasting in the middle ;) Here's my review!

As far as days in SG, you can do a day trip to Siena from there by bus, the bike tour another day and just enjoy walks around the town - the views are great and there are lots of roads between the wine estates that are easy to walk.

I would also recommend Torre di Palagetto or Palagetto di Sotto (the two last listings on this page) - they are both about 1km from San Gimignano letting you experience the countryside while being close enough to walk into town for dinner. SG gets quite busy during the day so I would encourage you to enjoy it more in the late afternoons and evenings, when most of the crowds have gone ;-).