Recommended day trips from Chiusdino?

Alplily

Hi all... I will be staying in Chiusdino (Oct 2-10 at least), probably without a rental car. I understand that I can easily get a bus to Siena. This trip came up unexpectedly, so I have not had much time to do research. Any suggestions and advice on what not to miss would be appreciated. I will be there 8 days.

Elba?
Siena?
Assisi?
Tuscany wine tour?

:)

I am sure you already mapped Chiusdino on a map and can see it is in the countryside about 27 km from Siena. You should know it is a small town, with a population of about 2000. You can get to Siena and to places nearby with the bus --- you can map them out on Google Maps and click on the public transport tab to see times.

So aside from Siena, I would suggest going to the Abbey of San Galgano as a must!
You can also head to Massa Marittima toward the coast, and to Follonica along the coast if the weather is nice and you want to enjoy beach time. Elba is not a day trip kind of day -- especially without a car. If you want to make to Elba (it is beautiful and we always recommend it at this time as the season winds down), I would suggest moving over for at least 3 days on the island.

Assisi -- there is no easy way to get there -- with public transport, it takes an average of 7 hours because you need to pass through Florence.

As for wine tours, I would suggest contacting the Pro Loco (tourism office) in Chiusdino itself as they should be able to recommend places nearby of tour operators that operate out of the area - here's their site: http://www.prolocochiusdino.it/
Most of the main tours operate out of Siena so your options are more limited.

In any case, you can do day trips in the area, but most will require you to take bus to Siena first and then transfer - take a look at these options: https://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/what-to-do/day-trips-from-siena.html

For this area, we normally recommend you rent a car, it will make seeing the area much easier!

Thank you so much. Unfortunately, the friend I was meeting there has to head home due to a family emergency. So... I will be on my own in Italy and renting a car. I will definitely see the Abbey of San Galgano. I may head to Elba, for at least an overnight (maybe I can find a less expensive B&B). A day in Siena is also planned. And I will check out one of the wine tours.

This will be my first solo trip out of the country, so I hope I will feel safe (with the usual precautions!) and meet some wonderful people while I am there.

I am sure you already mapped Chiusdino on a map and can see it is in the countryside about 27 km from Siena. You should know it is a small town, with a population of about 2000. You can get to Siena and to places nearby with the bus --- you can map them out on Google Maps and click on the public transport tab to see times.

So aside from Siena, I would suggest going to the Abbey of San Galgano as a must!
You can also head to Massa Marittima toward the coast, and to Follonica along the coast if the weather is nice and you want to enjoy beach time. Elba is not a day trip kind of day -- especially without a car. If you want to make to Elba (it is beautiful and we always recommend it at this time as the season winds down), I would suggest moving over for at least 3 days on the island.

Assisi -- there is no easy way to get there -- with public transport, it takes an average of 7 hours because you need to pass through Florence.

As for wine tours, I would suggest contacting the Pro Loco (tourism office) in Chiusdino itself as they should be able to recommend places nearby of tour operators that operate out of the area - here's their site: http://www.prolocochiusdino.it/
Most of the main tours operate out of Siena so your options are more limited.

In any case, you can do day trips in the area, but most will require you to take bus to Siena first and then transfer - take a look at these options: https://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/what-to-do/day-trips-from-siena.html

For this area, we normally recommend you rent a car, it will make seeing the area much easier!

I am pretty sure you will meet some great people and feel safe. Italy, especially the Tuscan countryside, is very "small town" feel and friendly to guests. Is the place in Chiusdino already all paid for? If it isn't, I would suggest you move your base closer to San Gimignano or Siena, to give you that option of not renting a car if you don't want to drive. In any case, I think you'll do fine! It takes a little getting used to the roads and signs but it shouldn't be difficult.

Traveling "Solo" in Tuscany

Buongiorno,

I travel frequently on my own in Tuscany - and though I do know the language - my accent is a clear indication that I am not from the area. I find that rarely is there a problem with traveling one your own, just remember the similar precautions as if you were at home.

I agree with Lourdes, if your accommodations are not already paid for or you can cancel and move, then I would go closer to a major city which will make travel easier. Siena has lots of opportunities for day trips without a car, as does Florence, including wine tours.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thank you. I had a place to stay with a friend in Chiusdino that was 30 euros a week, but it may have fallen through. Also, my friend will no longer be there. So, I will be renting a car after all! Arriving Florence Oct 2 and staying near the Duoma Oct 2-3... I will explore there on foot and then rent a car on Oct. 4, even if I stay in Chiusdino. So I will be much more mobile, which fits your recommendations. I do appreciate the info and support.

Buongiorno,

I travel frequently on my own in Tuscany - and though I do know the language - my accent is a clear indication that I am not from the area. I find that rarely is there a problem with traveling one your own, just remember the similar precautions as if you were at home.

I agree with Lourdes, if your accommodations are not already paid for or you can cancel and move, then I would go closer to a major city which will make travel easier. Siena has lots of opportunities for day trips without a car, as does Florence, including wine tours.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Agriturismo in Siena region!

I just found out about agriturismo options in the Siena area that are actually affordable. Figure I can stay at one that provides breakfast and use it as a home base for day trips. :)