Honeymoon in Montalcino

Vmadams

Hello!

My wife and I will be spending our honeymoon in Italy and will be in Montalcino Friday the 6th of January to Monday the 9th.

I am looking for things to do on the weekend there! I have wine tastings on Friday and Monday but would like to know what else there is on the weekends in the winter!

Also if I buy wine from stores and shops as well as at the wineries, how best can I ship them home to America?? I know the wineries themselves will ship but what about stores and shops??

Thanks for any advice and help you may have!

-Vincent

Montalcino

You are going to LOVE Montalcino! We got back a few weeks ago. Regarding wine, we bought wine skins with us and brought back 6 bottles and 1 mag in our checked suitcases. (We were told to be honest w customs, which we did, they never even flinched) We also shipped back 6 very nice bottles of a Brunello that we bought at one of the larger enotecas in Montalcino. The shipping was free if you chose from certain brands, if you chose others, shipping was not bad. I believe for 6 bottles w free shipping it was $277 Euro. Keep in mind, Brunello is pricey, but worth it!

Happy Honeymooning!!

Buongiorno,

January has a lot going on - however most of the dates won't be confirmed until the end of December. In the meantime, since many events occur every year, have a look at this article which will give you some ideas. I suggest that you keep checking back because we update it regularly as soon as we get info on the upcoming activities. Also have a look at this article which will keep you updated on the constant new exhibitions and art shows in the area.

As for shipping your wine home, have a look at this article which will give you some valuable information on your options.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Awesome!

Where in Montalcino is the best place to stay?!
Also what trains are the best to travel between Milan to Venice, Venice to Florence, and Florence back to Milan?

I am looking online currently but would love some advice from people who have actually stayed there!

-Vincent

I'm assuming you will have a car in Tuscany? it will make is much easier to get around.

As far as trains between the large cities, take the fast ones - the trains that start with "freccia" for Trenitalia or the Italo trains.

As far as for places to stay in Montalcino or nearby -- do you want a hotel or B&B or agriturismo apartment stay with own kitchen? I really loved Podere Cunina, it isn't too far away (I think less than 15 min drive) and the road up the farmhouse was not in good condition when we were there last (easy to do but lots of holes, maybe it's been fixed in the meantime) - but it has the most incredible setting and views of the surrounding hills!

Otherwise, as it is your honeymoon, I'd recommend Castello di Velona or the Borgo Canalicchio di Sopra Relais ;-). Both and other options are on this page: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/montalcino/

As far as the weekend goes, you're there during the Epiphany (Friday the 6th) so there is sure to be something happening in town for that -- take a look at the tourism office website for Montalcino (pro loco) for more details - and stop by the office to ask when you arrive for updates!