Driving in Tuscany and what is a good base point to venture into small towns

Hi

Excited to be going on my annual trip to Italia in September! I was there last year and did several tours and felt rushed so this time I want to take my time exploring the awesome towns. I will be leaving Florence on September 21 and want to spend 3-4 days driving through the small towns in Tuscany. I want to avoid the highways completely. So this is what Im trying to determine:

1. to drive or hire a personal driver to take me to the towns or take a bus?

2. If I were to rent a car, where should I rent it from? Siena or Florence. I would like to avoid the highway as much as possible.

3. How far is each town from Siena? I want to explore Siena of course, Montalcino, San Gimignano and other ones along the way. Should I just stay one night in each town as opposed to renting an apt in Siena (as my base point)for 3-4 days?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Slow Travel

Buongiorno,

If you really want to take you time and enjoy the small towns, and perhaps one or two surprises along the way then I strongly suggest you rent a car - though a NCC (car rental with driver) can truly add to the relaxation of the holidays. :cool: If you decide on a private driver then you can select a place and base your trips from there.

If you decide to get a car, you could change every day - if you are up to moving that much. Sometimes it is nice to have a home base, get to know the locals and intergrate a bit into the fabric of the culture.

Check out this article (and those linked in it). On the left handside there is an info box with a circular itinerary - I believe these will give you some place from which to start your planning.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise