best way to explore lakes region, cinque terra and southern tuscany

italybound

I am planning a trip to Italy in late sept. I have previously visited Florence, Rome and Venice. This time I would like to explore other beautiful areas of Northern Italy. My thought was to fly into Milan and take a train to Cinque Terre for 2 nights in Vernazza. I would then like to explore southern Tuscany area(San Gimignano)and visit wineries. After I would like to go North to Lake Como - Tremezzo for 4 nights and then finish trip in Milan for 1 night. I would like to stay for 9 nights. I am challenged finding transport between Cinque Terre and Tuscany region as well as Tuscany region to Lake Como. Do you advise renting a car upon departure to Cinque Terre for my visit to Southern Tuscany and then to Lake Como?
Appreciate any insight or suggestions.
Italybound

I don't know if you can travel from Milan to Cinque terre directly, may be you will need to stop to La Spezia (and then move to Vernazza).
Hiring a car is a good choice to visit the area of San Gimignano (Volterra, Colle Val d'Elsa etc.) you will be free to move around in the stunning countryside (and I don't think there are many trains or buses in this area).

Travelling around Italy

Buongiorno,

There are several train options from Milan to Vernazza - but you will need to change trains. When you look at the solutions look for the one that only has you changing trains once - because of the possibilities have you changing three and even four times!

A car is definitely the best way to see those other cities in Tuscany. You can pick up a car in La Spezie or if you want to train over to Pisa, then you can pick up a car at the airport. A day or two in the San Gimignano / Volterra area is highly recommended. Have a look at this article to get a better feel of the various possibiolities in that area:
https://www.discovertuscany.com/san-gimignano/day-trips-from-san-gimignano.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise