volterra as a base for a 7 day trip in tuscany

Sonali Mundkur

Hello,
a family of 4 is interested in using Volterra as a base for a 7-8 day trip in the tuscan region. is that a good option. This is our first trip to Italy. We are interested in making trips to Modena, Siena. San G. Florence and maybe Rome.
Should we rent a car or is it easier by train or bus
Should we fly into Milan or Rome
Any tips or suggestions will be most helpful.
Regards

Volterra would make a great base - provided you do have your own car. It does not have great connections by bus or train to anywhere so it would take too long to get places without a car.

Rome can be managed as a day trip but Modena is already stretching it a bit far.... use Google Maps to map routes as it gives you a good idea of times. No matter how close things look in Italy -- the country is small compared to other countries -- but the roads are often 2 lanes with curves so take time to navigate. There is a LOT to see in Tuscany, all compacted into small spaces, so plan to spend more time in the area and, if anything, I would recommend flying into Rome so that you see it first. Spend time there before coming to Tuscany, I always recommend 3 days in Rome for anyone coming for the first time! Will you be able to cover it?

Once in Tuscany, from Volterra you can visit:
at least a whole day for Siena, San Gimignano+Monteriggioni+Colle Val d'Elsa on another day, a whole day to roam around Val d'Orcia and its many towns, another day to roam around Chianti and its hilltop towns, at least one day in Florence and another day spent between Pisa and Lucca. There, I've already given you enough for 6 full days, you also need time to explore Volterra as well.

Having one base is a great way to remain flexible with plans -- more or less know where you want to make your way to but also decide exactly where once you're here. Slow down and enjoy what you see and, if you can, try to come back a second time! ;-)

Thank you so much for getting back to me. you have given me a lot to think about. Let me do some research and i will get back to you if i have more questions.
Really appreciate your help
regards
sonali