Florence to Apulia

Sol1409*

Hello,

My husband and I are travelling to Florence in May and hiring a car to travel around for 2 weeks, we'd both like to visit and stay in Apulia for a couple of days but know its about a 7hour drive from Florence - can anyone recommend places to stop and eat / stay overnight so we can break up the driving.

Many thanks

You want just a few stops along the way but make the trip over just one day? Where in Apulia and for how long?
I'm asking if you already know, because that way you can decide whether you want to make stops closer to central Italy/north of Rome or closer to the area/south of Rome (if you'll have time to visit Naples, Pompeii or the Sorrento/Amalfi area while in southern Italy).

You can consider Orvieto in Umbria, a very charming hilltop town, if you're just looking for quick stop relatively early.... or the Parco dei Mostri - https://goo.gl/maps/sRHodTZGbV12 - a bit further south of that if you're looking for something quirky ;).
Another stop (if not Rome) would be Naples.
If you do want to do an overnight, and you've never been, I would highly recommend Rome as a good stop - but choose to stay somewhere in the outskirts with parking included and then catch the metro into the center so that you don't have to worry about driving or parking in crazy Rome traffic!