June Tuscany trip

Mlwebster

Hello - we love your site & this is my first post, but I doubt it’ll be the last!
We are traveling from Naples to a villa in the Chianti region the 2nd week of June. Our rep from VRBO suggested we take the train from Naples to Rome, then rent our car there & drive to our villa. We want to make several day trips from our place in & around the Tuscany region. Can you suggest some places not to be missed? Also, I just heard about not driving into Florence. We’re leaving from the airport there. What’s the best way to get the rental car back to Florence & then onto the airport? I assume the rental place can tell us but just want to be sure since we’re returning it to a different airport. Thanks!

Hello! Glad you found us and are finding the info helpful!

There is only one airport in Florence so if possible, I suggest you return the car directly there.
You could also consider taking the train all the way from Naples to Florence and then renting your car in Florence, from the airport as well so that you don't have any added cost for return at a different location.

The car will really be necessary for moving around the area. So if you have a full week in Chianti, these are some possible day trips to plan:
- 1 full day in Siena (evening in Monteriggioni)
- 1 full day in Florence
- 1 day spent between Pisa and Lucca
- 2 days roaming around Chianti's towns
- San Gimignano and Volterra
- Arezzo and Cortona OR driving in Val d'Orcia, between Montalcino, Pienza, San Quirico, Montepulciano. This is a bit further away but should be fun drive as well (lots of photo opportunities too).

Make sure to read around the site for info on destinations as well as other itinerary ideas: https://www.discovertuscany.com/itineraries-in-tuscany/