Best city to fly into Italy for stay in Pitigliano in late October 2019

susank

Hello all,

I'll be staying in Pitigliano, Province of Grosseto, for a week in late October 2019.

This is my first trip to Italy.:)
I'll be flying to Italy from the US (California). I'd appreciate recommendations on:

- Cities to fly into to start the trip, possibly a day or two earlier.

- Transportation from our arrival city to Pitigliano.

- Cities to depart from back to the US.

Grazie,
Susan

If Pitigliano will be your base, you might actually be better off flying into Rome (Fiumicino), renting a car from there and driving up along the coast into the Maremma and then on to Pitigliano. The same for departure city.

The area is not well connected with public transport, so you'll definitely need a car to move around.

Train to Pitigliano from Pisa Airport?

If Pitigliano will be your base, you might actually be better off flying into Rome (Fiumicino), renting a car from there and driving up along the coast into the Maremma and then on to Pitigliano. The same for departure city.

The area is not well connected with public transport, so you'll definitely need a car to move around.

--------

Many thanks for your suggestion, Lourdes.

One of the people going on the trip did a little research and came up with the idea of going to Pitigliano by train from Pisa Airport. (https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Pisa-Airport-PSA/Pitigliano)
Since we're not familiar with the area, I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Yes, you can take the train to the area, whether from Pisa airport or even from Rome airport...... but you still arrive at a train station that is around 60km from Pitigliano. Rome2Rio suggests taking a taxi the rest of the way, and it can be one way to GET there....

but what are you going to do once you're there? you have a week and you will want to see the area, and the best way to do so in Maremma is to have your own car. So if you'll be getting a car rental, might as well consider getting it from the start, don't you think?

Yes, you can take the train to the area, whether from Pisa airport or even from Rome airport...... but you still arrive at a train station that is around 60km from Pitigliano. Rome2Rio suggests taking a taxi the rest of the way, and it can be one way to GET there....

but what are you going to do once you're there? you have a week and you will want to see the area, and the best way to do so in Maremma is to have your own car. So if you'll be getting a car rental, might as well consider getting it from the start, don't you think?

Thanks very much, Lourdes. Very helpful! We are meeting friends in Pitigliano who will have a car. Back to planning.