one month in San Giamiano

Gregt33

Hello to all
Can anyone advise me if a San G would be a reasonable small town to stay in for one month.
Looking for an intimate small town as a home base with restaurants, shops, bakeries within walking distance to an in town apartment.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

What period of the year? I love San Gimignano but it gets super crowded during the day when bus loads of tourists come into the town and "invade" it for an hour or two, all day long.... but by sunset all of them are gone, so it is perfect as a base, where you also tour around during the day and come back and enjoy once the crowds are gone. This is mainly during the high season, in the off season there are some buses as well but definitely much less. So your enjoyment of the "small town" feel will depend a lot on the period of the year you decide come.

While I'd like to say it would be great, I believe by April and May you've already got the packs of visitors during the day.

If you plan to stay in town a lot, this would not be an "intimate" setting...... if you plan to do day tours and be gone most of the day and enjoy the town in the evenings, then I would say to go for it. You could make it work especially if you choose a place outside of the city walls, so you wouldn't have to see the crowds outside your windows.

If you want to stay in a town and have the more intimate feel, I'd suggest other towns such as San Donato in Poggio, a very small charming town but with main services and a few places to eat at. San Miniato, Certaldo and Greve in Chianti are a bit bigger in size so offer a few more options as far as restaurants go, plus the bakeries and shops. These are also visited and charming but you don't get the feel of being over run and would give you the feel of being a local. Further south, I also would recommend staying in San Quirico val d'Orcia or Montalcino.