5 nights in Tuscany with 2 bases

daliaga

Hello- 4 of us who are food and wine lovers are planning 5 nights in Tuscany. We plan to drive north from Rome in a rental car and would like to spend 2 nights in the countryside before going to Florence for 3 nights. Some people have recommended places like Pienza and Cortona, but I am looking for some additional ideas. The focus will be wine tasting. We found a beautiful relais in Panzano, but that is over 3 hours from Rome and isn’t too far from Florence. I thought about Siena, but it seems like a bigger city so maybe we should consider a smaller town like Montalcino or Montepulciano. I am personally a wine collector in America and would love access to premier wineries and still be close enough to great restaurant options. Thanks!

I agree, a better base would be southern Tuscany --- anywhere between Montepulciano and Montalcino, it is a large area but covers both wine areas so you can explore everything in between. I personally love Pienza and San Quirico d'Orcia for the stunning countryside and views. Here's a list of places just to get you started on some possibilities: https://www.discovertuscany.com/valdorcia/top-5-accommodation-in-val-dorcia.html

The area will not disappoint as regards food and wine! Enjoy :D