Wedding planning and costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorien71

Hi there,

New member here, but long time visitor to your website and forum! :)

Wanted to join up as I'm currently planning my dream (but budgeted) wedding in Florence (or Vinci) for April 2015 and I'm trying to make it as lovely, and as cheap as possible!

I have been in conversation with our Italian wedding planners for the last few months and we're finally flying over in March to sign our contract with them.
Yesterday however, we got sent through a document which had basic prices and options available to us via the planners, including music, transport, flowers etc.

One of the main things that stood out for me was the price for the bride's hair and makeup. I know a few people who also do this for a living and they agree the price is extortionate (considering they're local), and have advised that I look elsewhere.
I have just today got a quote from a lovely lady based in Rome who is reasonable but then you add in the travel expenses and the costs start shooting up again. :(

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could possibly recommend me someone more local to Florence who is also reasonable with their prices.

I would really appreciate any help that people could give me

Thanks

Wedding hair and make-up

I am getting married in the summer and I found it was actually cheaper to fly my hairdresser/make up artist out for the wedding and put them into a b&B than it was to get one there, crazy! I think advertising on this site for one is your best bet if you didn't want to go the same way I did.

Hw you got everything else sorted? I can help with celebrant and florists if needed.

Ciao Lorien and welcome to our forum!

Glad to hear you're coming in March to continue planning the wedding - I imagine you'll be visiting possible locations and discussing more details with your planners.

As far as hair and makeup, it really depends on who they're using for you. Because if they are also asking for someone from Florence to go to Vinci, their cost might cover their travel expenses as well as full day there is they are to remain and take care of you throughout the day. Why don't you ask your planners for more details of what services are included, aside from doing your hair and makeup right before the ceremony?

If you also share with us more or less the cost they are asking and what is included, we'll be able to offer more specific ideas... I'd also think that you could visit local hairdressers/make up artists in Florence while you are here in March and see what they would do. It is what I did for my own... went and asked them to do my hair the way I wanted, once I saw they did an excellent job then I agree with them the details for getting it done the day of. My super-budget wedding meant I went to their salon that morning, before heading out to my in-laws house from which we'd head out to the local church in afternoon ;-). Make up was done there by a friend. This was several years ago, so I don't remember the exact amount but do believe it was less than 100 euros for hair.

I don't believe flying in and putting someone up in a B&B + their fee for their service is ever going to cost less than what a local person will as flowerlyns suggests.... so if you tell us a little more, we'll try to help and offer some more suggestions. I do suggest to get more details from your planners as well.

Thank you both for replying to my thread! :)

I did actually enquire to find out how much it would cost to fly someone over and it turned out to be just as expensive, so decided to stick with local Italian business.

The costs on the document from my wedding planner were 500 euros (inc. VAT) for bridal hair and make up or 250 for one or the other. There's no information on the document to say who this business actually is so I have no idea where they got the prices from, but it is definitely an amount I'm not willing to pay!

The lady from Rome cost 200 euros for both hair and makeup, but unfortunately quoted 230 euros on top for travel, so is just as bad, especially if I want to have a trial beforehand which are around 50 euros each.

I have found an American lady who has a salon in Florence who quoted me 380 euros for both hair and makeup, as well as well as trials, so she seems to be the favourite for me at the moment, although it's still a lot more than I was planning on paying, especially as I was hoping to get the bridemaids hair done too, but I'm over budget so much already, that it doesn't look like that will be possible!

flowerylyns, if you could give me any recommendations on flowers, I would be very grateful! I don't plan on having many, but even the basic things are turning out to be a lot more than I expected ( up to 500 euros again going by the wedding planner's documents!)

As we are still over a year before the wedding, we don't have much booked yet, we have the restaurant for the reception pencilled in (going for a tasting meal in March) and we're still deciding if we want the ceremony at Palazzo Vecchio or in Vinci.
We have practically booked an entire villa in Florence that holds up to 24 people and they have offered us a night free, so we're able to save money here and there, but still it seems to be all the little things that are adding up!

I know it can be the most difficult part about organizing a wedding here while being in another place - you have to trust that the planners will help you find valid professionals who will make your day turn out perfect!!

Seems to me the American lady in Florence does seem to have made the best offer for now - but I'd also plan on visiting her and ask for a trial do and makeup when you're here, so that you see whether you like what she does. I also wouldn't discard the options provided by the planner - tell them it is too much and see whether they can work with you in finding someone else and ask what is included - trials as well? If you're doing a whole package with them for their services, they should be able to work with you and all of the services you request. It seems for now you're just working off a generic price list they sent you, but Italians are very flexible and will definitely work to make sure you have the best experience, adapting and working with you once they know what you want. Rather than take each part of the wedding separately - try to say you're interested in this, this and that but the total is more than I thought, can you work with me and make everything fit within this total?? I imagine you have to establish a total budget for them to work within - if they have a total, they might be able to distribute it better among the many services required to make the wedding perfect! I am sure they work in offering budget solutions as well, with reduced amounts of flowers and essentials so make sure to contact them and establish the personal contact, don't just work off a price list - that is definitely a starting point, at least from my experience in living in Italy!

hair and makeup

Hi Lorien,
I too am finding it hard to get someone for my wedding this upcoming july to do my hair and makeup. My planner has given me three quotes with the lowest one being 500 euro which is just too much! Would you mind telling me the website of the American person you found for 380?
thanks

wedding in tuscany

Hi Loren my name is Patricia I open to October a wedding planner agency in Empoli based to 5 miles from Vinci birthplace of Leonardo genius,I have close collaborations with some of the most important providers for weddings and ceremonies including villas, castles and cottages for outdoor wedding, all at really competitive costs and a high quality, if you want to contact me on this mail: amoreaprimavista70@gmail.com
Hi there,

New member here, but long time visitor to your website and forum! :)

Wanted to join up as I'm currently planning my dream (but budgeted) wedding in Florence (or Vinci) for April 2015 and I'm trying to make it as lovely, and as cheap as possible!

I have been in conversation with our Italian wedding planners for the last few months and we're finally flying over in March to sign our contract with them.
Yesterday however, we got sent through a document which had basic prices and options available to us via the planners, including music, transport, flowers etc.

One of the main things that stood out for me was the price for the bride's hair and makeup. I know a few people who also do this for a living and they agree the price is extortionate (considering they're local), and have advised that I look elsewhere.
I have just today got a quote from a lovely lady based in Rome who is reasonable but then you add in the travel expenses and the costs start shooting up again. :(

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could possibly recommend me someone more local to Florence who is also reasonable with their prices.

I would really appreciate any help that people could give me

Thanks

It really depends on how many people you're inviting. If you want to do a wedding ceremony and reception with a dinner, like most weddings, then your biggest expense is going to be the reception and food. And the cost of that will depend on how much space you need and how many people you have to feed. If you want a less costly wedding, you'll need to have fewer guests.

Same boat

Hi Lorien and Kitty,

I too am in the same boat as you guys. We are getting married in May 2015. We have a wonderful venue and our wedding planner is superb but we are finding the quotes for suppliers too pricey. I have been very surprised. Our minimum quote for hair and make up for me alone is €500. That is crazy prices. I was told it was because they have to close the shop for a day to do it, but my wedding is on a Sunday so this is an extra day's business. Seems like there may be some kind of conspiracy amongst all these Italian suppliers :D My wedding planner also charges a €150 arrangement fee per supplier. I understand they need to make a living but this is hard to take on board. I am typically British and I want value for money, not to be blatantly ripped off. The idea of flying someone over has entered my head too. I have 6 in the bridal party so €500 for me and €250 for each of them - it would be way cheaper.

I also received a quote from an enquiry I made to a florist, they wanted a minimum spend of €3500, I nearly choked on my coffee.

Lorien and Kitty, perhaps we can all keep each other in the loop with what we find. There has to be a way to find reasonably priced suppliers.

Hi Lorien,
I too am finding it hard to get someone for my wedding this upcoming july to do my hair and makeup. My planner has given me three quotes with the lowest one being 500 euro which is just too much! Would you mind telling me the website of the American person you found for 380?
thanks

Hair and makeup in Florence

Hi Lorien and Kitty,

I too am in the same boat as you guys. We are getting married in May 2015. We have a wonderful venue and our wedding planner is superb but we are finding the quotes for suppliers too pricey. I have been very surprised. Our minimum quote for hair and make up for me alone is €500. That is crazy prices. I was told it was because they have to close the shop for a day to do it, but my wedding is on a Sunday so this is an extra day's business. Seems like there may be some kind of conspiracy amongst all these Italian suppliers :D My wedding planner also charges a €150 arrangement fee per supplier. I understand they need to make a living but this is hard to take on board. I am typically British and I want value for money, not to be blatantly ripped off. The idea of flying someone over has entered my head too. I have 6 in the bridal party so €500 for me and €250 for each of them - it would be way cheaper.

I also received a quote from an enquiry I made to a florist, they wanted a minimum spend of €3500, I nearly choked on my coffee.

Lorien and Kitty, perhaps we can all keep each other in the loop with what we find. There has to be a way to find reasonably priced suppliers.

Hi, we are a traveling hair and makeup team of 2 ladies(English and American)specializing in weddings in and around Florence. If you would like more info and a quote my details are below.
Adrienne Aereboe
Wedding Makeup Artist and Hairstylist
E- aereboea@hotmail.com
Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/adriennecerimakeup
Thank you kindly

Ciao bellab and Lorien and Kitty,

I think what you're running against is also a cultural difference - all of the Italian girls I know when they got married went to the hairdressers early that morning to get their hair done, then went to the wedding.... they didn't have the hairdresser go out to wherever they were. When I got married, I was surprised about this and did the same - going to the hairdresser and then from there heading up to the church outside of Florence - and I still paid over 300 euro overall, but I went before and had the style done on me a week before and even had a few highlights put in then.

So I don't you're really necessarily being "ripped off" (aside from that shop charging for a day's business on a Sunday, since they are closed). They just likely have made up cost for going out to wherever you are, seeing it as a great service they do to you by going out to you. Seeing as Adrienne and her assistant are both non-Italian and are specializing in this service, I'd suggest you contact her and see what quote they offer and see if she's available. I've checked out her facebook page and the pics of her brides hairdo's look quite lovely!

P.S. The quote for 3500 euro minimum spend from the florist IS CRAZY! definitely ask for more quotes from other suppliers, maybe contacting locals directly.... where are you getting married, where's the villa?

FLowers and hair

Hi Lorien and Kitty,

I don't know if you have sorted suppliers yet. I contacted Adrienne and the prices are very reasonable and the images on facebook look great, would recommend getting in touch.

I have also found this flower shop, I just want simple bouquets and table decorations - love the small baskets with white rose and orchid. So this seems perfect and well priced. They seem to deliver all over Tuscany as well. I have contacted them and awaiting a response now.

http://www.fiorit.it/

Isobel

Thank you Lourdes

Lourdes, thank you for the tips. I have hopefully found a local supplier with the flowers and have contacted Adrienne who was very prompt in her response.

My wedding is in San Miniato.

Photography

Lorien, have you considered your wedding photographer yet? We are an American based husband and wife photography team that travel for destination weddings. Destination weddings have a special place in our heart as we, ourselves, had an international wedding. We offer special rates for destination/international weddings. I would love to hear from you should you consider us a good fit for your wedding. Please feel free to view our work at www.alinathomas.com

Sincerely,
Alina Thomas Photography

P.S. The quote for 3500 euro minimum spend from the florist IS CRAZY! definitely ask for more quotes from other suppliers, maybe contacting locals directly.... where are you getting married, where's the villa?

Hi,
is it a joke? My boyfriend and I want to have a wedding in Italy in future, but when I see this, it makes me sad...

3500 for flowers?

Is there any possibility to arrange everything by myself without wedding coordinators etc.? I believe I can find good prices and don't have to pay somebody else for doing it for me.:D

Wedding in May 2015

Hello, such helpful forum you have going here!

I am getting married in may 2015 in San Casciano In Val di Pesa, near florence, and starting to get obber stressed! I have the venue booked, but not much else.

I have not hired a planner, but seriously considering.

I am wondering if you guys have had any luck finding affordable hair and makeup person and also a florist? I also thought about doing my own flowers... Lourdes, would you happen to know whether the thursday Florence flower market would be a good place to go for fresh cut flowers, or if its more for potted plants? I am thinking seasonal flowers, peonies and other loose fillers.

I am also looking for a string quartet or any strings at all would be great.

Any help and sharing of ideas would be much appreciated!!!

Helpless

Ciao Yuliya,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for offering assistance on wedding-planning questions!

But if anyone has general questions, please feel free to post here and if Yuliya can answer in general terms from her own personal experience, I think it would be useful to lots of people! This forum is read by thousands every day, and they are read by many who may never post but who appreciate the advice and info.

Once you get into specifics, then definitely take questions through a private channel but in the meantime, stay on here. It has been very useful ever for me to read the estimates and quotes that people have gotten for various services, it gives us all a better idea of what to expect.

Thanks everyone!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.