Any ideas for magical highlights of Chianti!

JenMagee

Hi everyone, my husband and I are going to be staying at a Villa 5 minutes from Greve for 4 days in September 2014 (in a few weeks time!). We have hired a rental car and are very excited to explore the region. The towns look amazing. Can anyone recommend a great itinery for a places not to be missed while we are there? We are looking to explore the wine, food and history and would love to know of any magical places. Also, would it be a good idea to do a tour for a day or is it just as good to explore on your own? Many thanks!:)

Ciao Jen,

if you are in Greve in September I suggest you to visit the Chianti Classico Expo, in Piazza Matteotti in Greve from 11 to 14 September.

To do tastings and to taste the true flavors of Tuscany I recommend the Antica Macelleria Falorni, always in Piazza Matteotti, and the Enoteca Ristorante Gallo Nero close to that square. However, all the restaurants and all the wine bars of Greve in Chianti, they are really excellent. Still on the subject of food and wine another place to visit would be l'Antica Macelleria Cecchini in Panzano in Chianti.

To taste of good wine in a special atmosphere, however, it may be ideal to visit the Castello di Verrazzano, one of the many beautiful castles located in Chianti.

A beautiful route could be to go to Florence through the Florentine Chianti and through countries like Impruneta. The beautiful Impruneta deserves to be visited to eat Peposo alla Fornacina and to purchase one of the beautiful terracotta artefacts that are produced in these parts.

Last edited:
Micaela has given some great suggestions already for Greve and the nearby area. Each and every town in Chianti has its own places to discover, including those shops that Micaela mentioned in Greve and Panzano. You can definitely explore on your own without a worry, but if you're planning on doing some wine tasting, tours are just very convenient since you don't have to worry about driving after. Take a look at some of the ones offered here.

4 days to see just Chianti or to explore Florence as well? Because you can definitely spend at least 2 days roaming around the Chianti countryside and exploring the small villages: Greve, Panzano, Castellina, Radda, San Donato in Poggio, Barberino d'Elsa... some more to include: Staggia, Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa, the ever popular San Gimignano just to keep to those that are closest. You could also make your way to Volterra, to the Abbey of San Galgano, to the Val d'Orcia to explore Montalcino and Pienza and Montepulciano and enjoy incredible views.

You'll see 4 days will fly by really fast! All of Tuscany has great wines and good food, take your time and enjoy the meals and you'll be in heaven :)

Many thanks for your suggestions! We have a good idea of where we want to go now. I am just deciding between a day trip to Lucca or Arezzo & Cortona. Can anyone recommend? Lucca looks sooooo beautiful!

What Uomo Grasso said - both are excellent but are definitely different, so you won't go wrong with either choice.

Lucca is flat, with the Renaissance walls around it that are perfect for riding on.... while Arezzo is on a gentle hill (with many things to see, in particular those stunning affrescoes by Piero della Francesco mentioned above) and Cortona on a much more steeper hill from which you enjoy great views of the entire area. Since you'll have a car, access to both will be easy. Both are great for strolling around and sitting and enjoying.... the hard part is choosing, but definitely pictures can help in deciding - here's some of ours from Cortona (too bright and sunny on that day) - http://www.tuscanypictures.com/Cortona/cortona.jpg.php