Cecina recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet

Ciao!

I'm searching for the recipe of the cecina, a sort of soft bread made with garbanzo bean flour. I tasted it in Pisa and it was great!

Can anyone help me?

Violet

cecina is simple to make

Yum! I love cecina, it is a really delicious treat often found along the Tuscan coast such as in Pisa and Viareggio.
It looks like a low plain pizza crust, it is made from chickpea flour, oil and water, plus salt and pepper to season and is really easy to make.
Eat it by itself or sandwiched between two slices of soft fresh bread for a light lunch :).
It is best eaten soon after it comes out of the oven since it loses its crisp crunchiness later on.
Here is the recipe and some pictures of when I recently made cecina at home: Cecina recipe at Tuscan Recipes

If you're back in Tuscany soon - or for anyone else interested in getting some of the best cecina I've ever had - head to Pisa and the Il Montino pizzeria on Via del Monte. The cecina is so popular you often find a line!

Hi I'm Peter Hill from Boston, worked as academic researcher.
I too love Cecina, This yummy treat requires very few ingredients

1. 500 gr ceci (garbanzo) flour - about 4 cups
2. 1 liter of water - about 4 cups
3. 1 tbsp salt
4. extra-virgin olive oil
5. freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Preperation:

1. In a large bowl, mix the flour and slowly add the water with a wooden spoon making sure to mix well so you don't have any lumps. Add the salt. The mixture should be very smooth.

2. If you have the time, cover and let the mixture rest for at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove any foam that has formed at the top and mix again.

3.Heat oven to 200° C (400° F).

4. You'll need a large pan with low borders, like those used for rectangle-shaped pizzas. Pour a small cup of olive oil into pan, enough to cover the bottom. Add the mixture, making sure it is pretty low - the cecina has to be no higher than ½ cm (about ¼ inch) high, so if your pan is not wide enough to make it like this, bake two separate batches.

5. Bake in the hot oven until the cecina has a golden crust all over, about 30 minutes.

6. Grind lots of fresh black pepper on top of the cecina as soon as it comes out of the oven, cut into slices and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.