Visiting Vineyards

stavros

I will be in Florence in early January and am interested in visiting vineyards in the region, including Chianti and Bolgheri. What would be the best way to visit vineyards within easy distance of Florence? Also, is the Piedmont wine region accessible by train from Florence? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ciao!

In January, many of the vineyards are resting for the winter and many wineries close down - but not all of them!! We are actually working on writing an article where we are looking specifically for wineries that remain open during the winter - so if you have a bit of patience, we will have that out in the next few weeks - certainly in time for you before you come over!! :D

We'll post the link here when it is online!

Vineyards in Winter

Buongiorno,

I was just visiting a vineyard towards the end of November called Azienda Montefioralle Winery. It is a small family run operation, and you will need a ar to get there - but his English was very good and the explanation that accompanied the wine tasting was detailed and interesting. They also include a small tasting of crostini and local products as well as the wine tasting - and I thought it was well worth the price of 15Euro.

Buon Viaggio

Donna

Vineyards

Thank you for your earlier post about the forthcoming list of open vineyards around Florence. Is the list available at this time? Also, is it possible to take a train to Pisa for a half day from Florence? Also, I would like to take a train to Venice and would like to know if a full day in Venice is enough to see the major sites, and then taking a late train back to Florence? Thanks.

Pisa and Venice by Train

Hi -

absolutely for both options.

Pisa is a quick train ride from Florence and you can either walk to the Tower from the train station giving you an opportunity to see a bit of the city center and not just Miracle Square or catch a bus. Here is an idea of an itin in Pisa: http://www.discovertuscany.com/pisa/one-day-itinerary.html. PS be sure to get your tickets in advance if you want to walk up the tower otherwise they may not be available for the time that you are there!

Venice (in my opinion) is completely do-able in one day. When you look at getting your ticket to Venice be sure that you choose Frecciargento or Frecciarossa as the type of train because they are the fastests AND be sure you take a train that will go to Venice Santa Lucia. Thre are two stations (Mestre) and only Santa Lucia takes you into the city. It is about a two hour ride and the earilest train on weekdays seems to be at 8.30 in the morning. You could look at coming back around 6:30 pm or 7:30 pm and really have a full day around the city.

Buon Viaggio