Default Driving through Tuscany

We will be staying in Barga, and would like to drive to San Gimignano, Siena, Monteriggioni, Montepulciano, and end touring a winery in Greve, before returning to that doable in one day. Also, what would be the best stops to follow in order to do this itinerary most time effective?

Default Better in Two Days

Buongiorno -

all those places merit to be visited...but just not all on the same day. You will find yourself driving more than visiting.

Try doing San Gimignano, Monteriggioni & maybe Siena all on one day....still a lot to see and do. You could also try doing a wine tasting closer to Monteriggioni or even near San Gimignano at Pietrafitta, I happend upon the outside picnic area with my sister and we got a plate of cheese and 4 wines for a very small fee...very nice.

It still makes for a long day - I would drive straight thru to Siena (early) enjoy the city and then maybe head out to Monteriggioni for lunch (lots of lovely restaurants & enotecas in the town). Monteriggioni is small - has good (paid) parking and you can easily visit it quickly without feeling like you really gave it its fair share of time. Maybe do a wine tasting on your way out. Go to San Gim - again (paid) parking is easy. Do happy hour in the square - maybe enjoy the sunset....may another wine tasting and then back home. It's still a bit of a ride home - so you may want to do dinner or not at San Gim - remember most restaurants don't open until after 7:30 pm.

Greve is a beautiful little town - but it will really take you out of the way and believe me when I say that both Monteriggioni & San Gim will give you that small town feel!

Montepulciano and Val d'Orica (Pienza, Montalcino & Buonconvento) really are worth a day all on their own - AND you can do some more wine tasting because this area will give you a whole other flavour of Tuscany. You may want to do the scenic route in the morning and drive to Buonconvento or Montalcino first - then (maybe Bagno Vignoni) Pienza and end up in Montepulciano. When you drive home you can take the major highway - its still a good drive but in the evening (after a wine tasting) probably best to not try all those curves...besides the scenery is photo worthy!!

Buon Viaggio

Share and Bookmark!