www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com

Thread: ATM Cards and Biometric Chips

Default ATM Cards and Biometric Chips

My credit union does not have biometric chips in their debit cards. I have never been to Italy but friends say the ATMs won't take my card without the chip. Is this true?

I do believe ATMs still take and read magnetic cards that don't have chips, so I don't think it should be a major problem. There are also many, many different banks - ask your credit union if they recommend a special network to use as partners overseas just in case you can avoid withdrawing fees. If you do have problems with an ATM, just walk down the street and try another one.
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Default Thanks Lourdes!

This is a great service that you provide. Thank you so much.
    Ellen

Default Chips in the cards

I spoke with my bank today and they explained that the chips are not normally necessary for withdrawing funds. The chip is normally used for a validation of the card in case of fraud.

The bank said that as long as you are using an ATM machine which is compatible with the type of card you have (Visa, MC etc) then you should have no problem with using your card in Europe.

Buon Viaggio

Thanks for the additional info Donna, good to know what the chip is used for!

Glad to have been of help Ellen
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Share and Bookmark!