Best town or city to stay in a Family Trip To Tuscany

marysnow

Hello! I want to spend one week in Tuscany with my family (two adults and four kids ages 16, 14, 10 and 4 years old). One option is to rent a Villa with a swimming pool in a small town, another would be to stay in a small city. I am looking for a place were my family can have different activities and my kids can move freely and wonder around the town by themselves, buying bread, cheese, prosciutto, going to the plaza, just trying to be like locals. This summer we rented an apartment in Paris that was close to a place were some local kids would play futbol, and my kids enjoyed a lot to go in the afternoons (after the sightseeing) and play with the kids. I do not know which place would you recommend as more kid friendly, or were we can find more activities with them, so we can mix the cultural part, with other things that they can enjoy also, like renting bikes, playing football, river activities like kayaking....
We plan to rent a car for moving around.
I don't know if you need more information, thanks in advance, regards

Maria

Have you read this article?
http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-accommodation/where-to-stay-in-tuscany.html

My first impression was to recommend Siena but since you'll have a car and you want to stay there, then I'd recommend making sure you are not in the center so that you won't have to worry about the ZTL/parking.

Otherwise other great towns for the "local life" that are lively enough and quiet enough to satisfy both aspects would be San Gimignano, Volterra, Pisa and Lucca. What period of the year are you considering?

Keep in mind there won't be very many villas with a swimming pool in a town, most will be in the outskirts or nearby countryside - but generally you should find something walking distance to the town.