www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com

Thread: Rome to San Gimignano

Default Rome to San Gimignano

I am going to Rome in March and want to go to San Gimignano for a day. I seen where I would have to take a train to Poggibonsi. Is there a bus I take to San Gimignano or do I have to get a taxi? Also if it is a bus, do I buy a bus ticket at the Poggibonsi train station? Any tips or info is much appreciated!

Just for a day? Using public transport? I think you might spend the better part of the day on trains and buses and not see anything at all of San Gimignano. Theoretically you need to catch a fast train to Florence from Rome, from Florence catch a bus - that's the fastest way.

The shortest options I am seeing on Google Maps - https://goo.gl/maps/koRWfETqhd72 - are around 3 hours and 25 min to get there..... but consider whether they can be worked for you to get there and then find a suitable one to get back. If you spend 7 hours getting there and back in one day, how long will you be in San Gimignano in the end? I would suggest skipping SG if you're fixed on Rome as your base and go to someplace closer to Rome, such as Orvieto! I would much rather you enjoy your time here and decide you need to come back than remember it like a nightmare
    Where to stay in Tuscany? Read this if you will have a car and this if you won't!
    When is the best time to visit? Make sure to read this!

Quote Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post
    Just for a day? Using public transport? I think you might spend the better part of the day on trains and buses and not see anything at all of San Gimignano. Theoretically you need to catch a fast train to Florence from Rome, from Florence catch a bus - that's the fastest way.

The shortest options I am seeing on Google Maps - https://goo.gl/maps/koRWfETqhd72 - are around 3 hours and 25 min to get there..... but consider whether they can be worked for you to get there and then find a suitable one to get back. If you spend 7 hours getting there and back in one day, how long will you be in San Gimignano in the end? I would suggest skipping SG if you're fixed on Rome as your base and go to someplace closer to Rome, such as Orvieto! I would much rather you enjoy your time here and decide you need to come back than remember it like a nightmare

So do you suggest taking the train from Rome to Florence, or Rome to Orvieto? We really want to see the countryside and do wine tastings.