www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com

Thread: Tuscany + Venice + Rome All in a Week?

ishamaus is offline Junior Member - Learning about Tuscany

Default Tuscany + Venice + Rome All in a Week?

Good morning...we are planning to be in Tuscany this coming November. The trip itself is 7 days. We fly into Milan and then have a rental car that we'll take into Montecatini (where our hotel is for the week). I realize Tuscany is a decent size, and there are quite a few towns that could easily keep us occupied for the week. Last night, my wife was telling me how much she'd like to see Rome and Venice as well. I told her there is no way, unless we are constantly driving and not actually savoring any of the sites. She disagreed. Well, we spent 3 weeks in the Philippines a few years ago. This is her home country. She wanted to pack so much activity into our 3 weeks that she hurt her back and we were confined to her brother's house for a time as she couldn't move very well. I don't want a repeat of that, so am I right that trying to include Rome and Venice in addition to Tuscany in 7 days is a recipe for a very rushed and unfulfilled vacation?

Thanks in advance!

DonnaDenise is offline Super Moderator - DiscoverTuscany Team

Default Tuscany - Venice & Rome

Buongiorno -

I can certainly appreciate your concern - as well as her desire to see as much as possible in Italy.

I understand that the car comes with the package - but .... can I suggest this:

Day 1: Milano train to Venice / overnight in Venice

Day 2: Venice train to Florence late afternoon pick up your car and drive to Montecatini

Day 3: Late start, enjoy Florence (I would check the trains back into Florence so you don't need to think about parking)

Day 4: Tuscany day trip or wine tour

Day 5: early morning Florence to Rome via Train and back again late evening

Day 6: Pisa and Lucca

Day 7: Siena

Departure

I do feel that adding Venice and Rome will create a more hectic itinerary for you, it is possible to do it all...

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Lourdes is offline Administrator - DiscoverTuscany Team

I can understand your concern as well as your wife's wish to pack in Rome and Venice to "see it all" since many, many packages offer just that, those 3 towns in a week. I see that Donna has tried to offer a way to make it possible, too.

My opinion is that you both should first see what Tuscany has to offer - we have had lots of questions about using Montecatini as a base over the last two years so we decided to dedicate an article to day trips from Montecatini:
    http://www.discovertuscany.com/monte...ntecatini.html

It is a lot! Decide what you want to see in Tuscany first - including Florence, which as Donna has suggested, is best reached by train from Montecatini - and only after decide whether ONE of the two your wife wants to visit can be added on.

It will have to be a compromise between you two. I personally believe those packages that include all 3 cities in a week are NUTS! They herd groups around, not giving anyone a chance to really see anything beyond what the organizer has planned as a route and down-time is limited. You head back home more tired than when you arrived - not the best way to enjoy a vacation.

Make sure to schedule "relaxing time" in Montecatini Terme, enjoying the spa centers in town too! ;-) To really enjoy your vacation

If neither can be included, it is one reason to make it back to Italy for a future trip!
    Where to stay in Tuscany? Read this if you will have a car and this if you won't!
    When is the best time to visit? Make sure to read this!

ishamaus is offline Junior Member - Learning about Tuscany

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you much! I am not a traveler at all, and would be fine staying in one place, but she certainly ix more adventurous than I. Thank you for the suggestions, both of you. I don't think she realizes just how much there is to take in, and perhaps after one 2- or 3-hour car ride we'll be both ready to dial it down a bit and take it slow. I do wonder how driving around Italy will be for a lifetime Midwest US driver I know about the ZTL zones, so trains sound like a better option in some cases. Thanks again!