www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day trip to Pisa and Cinque Terre from Florence

Question Day trip to Pisa and Cinque Terre from Florence

Do I have enough time to tour Pisa and Cinque Terre on a day trip from Florence on public transportation?

Default Pisa and Cinque Terre

Buongiorno,

anything is possible --- but will it be fun? Personally, I think it would be a bit of a stress test. You need at least a couple of hours to really see and enjoy Pisa and the Square of Miracles.

From Pisa to Cinque Terre in train at least another 1 - 2 hours depending on the connections. So you are limiting your time to truly explore and discover the beauty of CT. You could try mixing a visit to the CT with an organized tour which would perhaps allow you to see more without the hassle of organizing all the logistics on your own: http://www.partner.viator.com/en/835...activities=all

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Default Visiting Cinque Terre

Thank you for the advice. If not on the same day, how do most people plan their trip to Cinque Terre? Where do they lodge? Thanks again.

Default My experience with Cinque Terre

Hi

I find that most people dedicate an entire (and long) day to CT. A train ride in from Florence or Pisa is easy and comfortable. Once you are in La Spezia you change trains to go into the CT.

One fun and interesting way to do the little towns is to work you way to the last one in train (or hiking if you want ;.) ) and then arrange for a boat taxi to take you back - this way you can appreciate CT 360°.

I hiked the first town inwards - with Via dell'Amore (this picturesque road used to connect the first town Riomaggiore with the second however it was partially damaged with a mudslide and is open in just a part) and then trained the rest of the towns...taking time to walk down to the water, buy a slice of pizza with pesto (local specialty) and cheese and take some photos. And then I took a boat taxi back - it was spectacular!

Then you catch a train back to your base. The train is also a good idea because it is a tiring day and there is no need to stress and be driving the long haul to Florence and Pisa after a beautiful day.

I hope this helps,

Donna Denise

Thumbs up Very helpful

It's very helpful. Thank you very much.

Thumbs up Only one day

Hi James,

Thank you very much for the advice. We have only one day for Cinque Terre. I am thinking about staying at La Spezia, which is closer to CT.

Default Near CT

Hi

La Spezia is close, it is located to the south. Personally, when I went, I stayed at Levanto - which is the first town to the north of CT. Easily connected with the train, boat taxi and it has a great fish market and sandy beaches ;-)

Donna Denise

Thumbs up Good suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaDenise View Post
    Hi

La Spezia is close, it is located to the south. Personally, when I went, I stayed at Levanto - which is the first town to the north of CT. Easily connected with the train, boat taxi and it has a great fish market and sandy beaches ;-)

Donna Denise
    Hi Donna Denise, Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Default No train between Florence and La Spezia after 12/12/15

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaDenise View Post
    Hi

Donna Denise
    I found that there is no train between Florence and La Spezia after 12/12/15. Why is that? We plan to visit CT around 12/18.

I would go off the schedule for Friday the 11th -- there really is no reason (despite it being off season) as to why there should suddenly be no trains from Florence to La Spezia, I think it is a problem with the trenitalia site not having the correct times uploaded yet or updated on their system.

So while you might get to La Spezia and then on to CT, do keep in mind that it is off season for CT and many places might be closed. Not everything, as locals do live there year-round so I think you will get to enjoy it in a special way being there in December as opposed to June ;-).
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Share and Bookmark!