From Naples to Tuscany Advise

Twmac

Hello. I'll be visiting Naples, Italy on Aug 27th for a number of days. I'm interested in an overnight trip to Tuscany. I've looked at a couple of properties on Agriturismo.net outside San Gimignano that are appealing. However, I don't know enough about the area to know the best place to lodge or the best way to travel to Tuscany and back to my hotel in Naples. I will not be driving. What are your thoughts? I'm hoping to experience the rolling hills, solitude and beauty of Tuscany yet have access to a nearby town to see the area, go to a restaurant, or visit churches. In essence, my foremost objective is to go slow and engage in the environment/community rather than be in the hustle and bustle of tourism. Secondly, safety and acceptance are concerns for me, as I'll be traveling alone on this leg of my trip as an African-American female. What should I be attentive to when traveling?

Thanks for your help!
Excitedly nervous,

Enjoying Tuscany

Buongiorno,

That is a tall order - traveling to Tuscany for just one day and wanting to enjoy slowing down and the community !!

Since you will be traveling without a car, I am going to suggest that you look into stopping in Arezzo - and here are my reasons.

- EVERY TIME I take friends and family here, they fall in love with the city.
public transport! You can get here by train and don't need to rent a car to move around.
- It will be a quicker trip from Naples than San Gimignano and allow you to maximize your time in Tuscany. (to get to San Gimignano, you need to first go to Florence and then a bus ride / or long taxi ride to San Gim)
- if you really want to slow down and enjoy the locals, Arezzo is much more your style. It is a beautiful city, with a slower pace of life, the tourists have a tendency to be Italian (as opposed to international)
- you will love strolling the streets, small shops even a museum or two
- the food is great
- and you will feel safe in the city center - I always have and I too am a single female traveler.
- there is wine tasting within easy reach of the city center! This is where I would invest in a taxi. You could stroll out to one and then have them call a taxi to bring you back into the city.

This accommodation is actually located close to the city - but I don't know if they do one night stays:
https://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/villa-rossi-mattei.html

I would really suggest looking for a B&B in the city center.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

PS, I live only 20 minutes from the city - if you want company let me know!

I agree with Donna that Arezzo would be a better destination over San Gimignano --- without a car, even getting to SG would be more complicated.

What I don't really agree is possible is doing this slow and leisurely in an overnight, it is still a 4 hour train ride each way so 8 hours out of the 24 hours or so you're thinking of dedicating to Tuscany. If it all possible, make it 2 nights and your overall experience of Tuscany will change dramatically, for the better ;-).

Otherwise, I suggest staying closer to Naples - maybe explore the Amalfi coast or Pompeii or other places nearby, so that travel time is not wasted.

Response to Donna & Lourdes

Thank you Donna & Lourdes! I’ve decided to take your advice and increase the number of days stay. While I don’t mind seeing the scenery of a 4-hour train ride, I will consider a B&B in Arezzo. My goal is Tuscany; I’m not married to a particular city just the type of experience. Donna, I would love to meet you! Just let me know how I can reach you outside the forum!

Thanks again!

Buongiorno,

That is a tall order - traveling to Tuscany for just one day and wanting to enjoy slowing down and the community !!

Since you will be traveling without a car, I am going to suggest that you look into stopping in Arezzo - and here are my reasons.

- EVERY TIME I take friends and family here, they fall in love with the city.
public transport! You can get here by train and don't need to rent a car to move around.
- It will be a quicker trip from Naples than San Gimignano and allow you to maximize your time in Tuscany. (to get to San Gimignano, you need to first go to Florence and then a bus ride / or long taxi ride to San Gim)
- if you really want to slow down and enjoy the locals, Arezzo is much more your style. It is a beautiful city, with a slower pace of life, the tourists have a tendency to be Italian (as opposed to international)
- you will love strolling the streets, small shops even a museum or two
- the food is great
- and you will feel safe in the city center - I always have and I too am a single female traveler.
- there is wine tasting within easy reach of the city center! This is where I would invest in a taxi. You could stroll out to one and then have them call a taxi to bring you back into the city.

This accommodation is actually located close to the city - but I don't know if they do one night stays:
https://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/villa-rossi-mattei.html

I would really suggest looking for a B&B in the city center.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

PS, I live only 20 minutes from the city - if you want company let me know!