www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Travel by train around Tuscany

Quote Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post
    Ciao Ricchese,

The Capalbio Stazione FS (train station) is 10km from Capalbio town (high up on a hill). You can get there from a bus from one to the other, you just have to plan to be at Capalbio Scalo in time to catch the various ones through the day:
    6.43am - 8.48am - 10.06am - 12.30pm - 1.55pm - 5.54pm Monday through Saturdays. Seems no buses on Sundays.(http://www.tiemmespa.it/var/ezdemo_s...05ad5141c1.pdf)

Note that any stop marked with FS usually means train station as it means Ferrovie Stato in Italian.

Since the bus line also starts in or passes through Orbetello FS, you can also choose to catch the same bus earlier there (just one bus seems to not start in Orbetello). It is a bit to the north of Capalbio.

While in Capalbio, you'll need to sit tight unless you can make the bus schedule work for you. To be honest, it isn't a great base if you don't have a car but the town is quite charming.... it comes alive in the evenings when the restaurants get full of people that have been at the beach all day. In the day, it is pretty quiet.

From the Capalbio train station, you should be able to take trains back to Grosseto to then continue on to Siena and from Siena either take train or bus to Pisa (bus passes through Florence - have you already been?).

You can check all timetables on www.trenitalia.com for each leg of your trip --- but if you also search for each leg on Google Maps and then click on the "public transport" tab, you should also see a mix of solutions that have train and bus as well. I would suggest you try Google Maps first
    Thank you very much!! I have two related questions :

-the beach! How is far from Capalbio? Once I'll be in town,can I reach it walking or do I need a bus?
    -How can I reach Giardino dei Tarocchi without a car? I'm afraid there's no bus to ride for this particular location,and it would be a real disappoint....

Yes, you'll need a bus -- it is 10km from Capalbio to Capalbio Stazione, the closest beach to Capalbio Stazione is Carmen Bay and 3.5km from the station. Walking should be around 45 min from there.
    I mapped it for you: https://goo.gl/maps/bA5z1aVyin32
    We've been there, it is quite nice with fine but dark sand. The Lago di Burano which is nearby is a protected area, so you need to skirt around it to get to the beach.

Yes, you must absolutely go the Tarocchi Garden. I really don't know how you can reach it without a car. Are you staying at a B&B or hotel in Capalbio? If so, I'd ask them if they know how you can get there, maybe even ask if they can drop you off?? It isn't super far, about 7km from Capalbio. You could theoretically walk around, if the weather isn't too hot. But second week in Sept is generally still warm and there isn't that much tree cover in that area, all things considered, it is pretty settled with lots of farms and homes.
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post
    Yes, you'll need a bus -- it is 10km from Capalbio to Capalbio Stazione, the closest beach to Capalbio Stazione is Carmen Bay and 3.5km from the station. Walking should be around 45 min from there.
    I mapped it for you: https://goo.gl/maps/bA5z1aVyin32
    We've been there, it is quite nice with fine but dark sand. The Lago di Burano which is nearby is a protected area, so you need to skirt around it to get to the beach.

Yes, you must absolutely go the Tarocchi Garden. I really don't know how you can reach it without a car. Are you staying at a B&B or hotel in Capalbio? If so, I'd ask them if they know how you can get there, maybe even ask if they can drop you off?? It isn't super far, about 7km from Capalbio. You could theoretically walk around, if the weather isn't too hot. But second week in Sept is generally still warm and there isn't that much tree cover in that area, all things considered, it is pretty settled with lots of farms and homes.
    Honestly,I haven't booked any accomodation yet. I'm a bit late! But I think I have the info I wanted to know,now. Thank you so much for your priceless advices.

If you haven't booked yet, then try to find something closer along the coast -- not too far from the train stations
    What to see in Tuscany? Check out ideas on our main website DiscoverTuscany.com!!

Stay updated: FOLLOW us on Facebook!

Question Suggestion

Hi! My wife and I want to spend 2 nights/full days in Tuscany. We will be coming from Rome by train. We are looking for recommendations of smaller, medieval towns with wineries nearby. We are open to also taking a bus if need be. Any suggestions?!?

Default Travelling by train through Tuscany

Hi - this looks like a great forum for information on Tuscany.

I am travelling solo so plan to travel by train to the places on my list - including:

Sienna, Chianti, San Gimignano, Lucca, Cinque Terra (likely in that order)

From some of the posts, I read it is easier to get around by train basing yourself in Florence, is that the case?

Given the above itinerary, can anyone advise if it is possible to get through it all by train? Happy to shift the places depending on your suggestions.

Many thanks - I am excited but also a little overwhelmed!

Liesel

Default Train/bus out of Florence?

Hello!

My friend and I will be staying in Florence, near Santa Maria Novella station. We want to go from there, on a Saturday, to Palazzo Vanneschi, which is near Bucine, and in between Badia Agnano and Capannole. Google Maps is showing a train or a bus, or both (not sure about the symbol) that will take us to Capannole Posta in about two hours, with a 20 minute walk to the villa after that. Before I even try to figure out pricing and how to get tickets, does this seem like a valid route?

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Default Palazzo Vanneschi

Buongiorno,

The first thing I suggest is to speak with Palazzo Vanneschi, they should have detailed information on how to arrive.

However, from Florence you can take a train that stops in Montevarchi Terranuova (there are several) and then you will walk approx 2 - 5 min to catch a bus SI91, your stop is Il Prato and the palazzo should be fairly close, another 5 min walk.

http://www.etruriamobilita.it/

Saturday buses run on a normal workday schedule - however this area looks like it is not served FREQUENTLY, as in there may be a bus but it will not stop at all of the stops for every run.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Share and Bookmark!