www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuscan itinerary!

Default less Florence?

Thank you Lourdes! I'm now starting to get a good handle on the Tuscany portion of our trip.

To be clear, are you suggesting I spend 2 instead of 4 nights in Florence? Our itinerary as (I think) you're describing it would then look like this:

Day 1 - leave Umbertide mid-day, spend the night in Montepulciano.
    Day 2 - explore region between Montepulciano and Siena (e.g. Val D'Orcia, Pienza, Montalcino), spend night in Siena.
    Day 3 - explore Siena, Monteriggioni; head into Chianti as we circle back for a 2nd night in Siena.
    Day 4 - explore San Gimignano and Volterra. Spend night in Florence.
    Day 5 - explore Florence. Spend 2nd night in Florence.
    Day 6 - travel by train to Lucca (and Pisa?). Spend night in Lucca.
    Day 7 - travel by train from Lucca to the Cinque Terre. Spend 4 nights in Cinque Terre, then take train to Venice.

I currently have four nights lodging booked in Florence, but could probably reduce it to two if you think this is a better use of our time. I also have 4 nights booked in Vernazza, but could possibly reduce it to 3 and add a night back to Florence. Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

I have yet to book anywhere to stay in Montepulciano or Siena, so will be taking a close look at Donna's recommendations!

Thanks again,
    P

Quote Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post
    I second Donna's suggestion - an extra day in the countryside as you make your way up from Umbria into Tuscany would not be a bad idea. Let's you take more time to see the countryside, spreading day 3 onto day 4...

You can thus do Siena and Monteriggioni on day 3, heading into Chianti as you circle back and head back to Siena for the night (or if you're open to moving every night, you could overnight in the Chianti area).

Then on day 4 visit San Gimignano and Volterra. I would do Volterra first, then SG. As Barbara says, SG can get crowded but this is mostly during the day when groups come in. Since you're coming in September, I think you'll do better.... but leaving it to afternoon is a better idea when more of the groups are gone. You can make your way to Florence by that night.

Another note on the itinerary:
    Day 6 - why not spend the night in Lucca instead of backtracking back to Florence? You're closer to CT this way to start your day 7!

Most trains do have you go to Venice passing through Florence, but any time saved between Lucca and Florence on prior days makes the passage through Florence faster after your visit to CT.

Default night in Florence and CT

Hello -

sounds like your itin is really coming together -- I like the variety!

I personally would stay with four nights in Florence (unless you want to do one in Lucca which is a great suggestion)

and I have spent time in CT, and though it is lovely I believe you will find 3 nights will be enough. Instead, with the variety and many things to see in Tuscany, I strongly suggest you a night to your time in Tuscany and maybe stay in San Gim or Chianti before heading to Florence.

If you add a night in Tuscany you could also add it in the Val d'Orcia area and find a way to include a relaxing afternoon at Bagno San Filippo (pack a picnic and cool a bottle of wine for the event!)

Donna Denise

Default Florence to Lucca?

I have a day on our itinerary for a trip from Florence to Lucca. Lourdes suggested overnighting in Lucca instead of returning to Florence for the night, since we're heading on to the Cinque Terre the next day anyway.

That certainly makes some sense, but I'm concerned about our luggage (we'll have abandoned the car and will be travelling by train now). The advantage of a day trip would be that we could leave our bags behind in Florence while spending the day in Lucca, but if we were to leave Florence behind, I don't imagine we'd be able to check into a hotel or B&B in Lucca before 2 or 3pm, which means dealing with our bags until then.

I'm trying to determine which would be the more convenient option, as well as the best use of a day, and as I don't have first-hand knowledge of the trains, distances, travel times, etc., any insights would be welcome!

Thanks,
    P

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaDenise View Post
    Hello -

sounds like your itin is really coming together -- I like the variety!

I personally would stay with four nights in Florence (unless you want to do one in Lucca which is a great suggestion)

and I have spent time in CT, and though it is lovely I believe you will find 3 nights will be enough. Instead, with the variety and many things to see in Tuscany, I strongly suggest you a night to your time in Tuscany and maybe stay in San Gim or Chianti before heading to Florence.

If you add a night in Tuscany you could also add it in the Val d'Orcia area and find a way to include a relaxing afternoon at Bagno San Filippo (pack a picnic and cool a bottle of wine for the event!)

Donna Denise

Default Lucca or San Gimignano?

Miss Lourdes,
    Which one do u suggest for a first encounter with the Tuscany nature Lucca or San Gimignano?

Default Lucca or SG

Buongirono,

I voted Lucca - San Gimignano is a beautiful place with a lovely landscape around it ... but if you want to walk and enjoy the nature up close, Lucca is a great town. With the very walkable town center, the fabulous city walls and the nearby villas with their lovely gardens, Lucca makes it easy to get close to nature.

Royal Villa
    http://www.discovertuscany.com/lucca...ear-lucca.html

Historical Villas & Gardens
    http://www.discovertuscany.com/lucca...-in-lucca.html

Wine & Olive oil: http://www.discovertuscany.com/itine...ine-roads.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Default Lucca for my birthday definetely

Fantastic links. Thanks.

I am going to Lucca for my birthday and once there I will eat chocolate at Cioccolato Cavalsani.

The post was wonderful.............